Wednesday, August 15, 2012

why i run

 

I love running. I'm a pretty intense person, and pounding the sidewalks with Drake or Ke$ha (admit it, they're on your running playlist, too) works wonders for me in terms of blowing off steam. I do better all the way around when I run - I'm happier, nicer, more patient. It's good for me, and it's good for everyone that has to deal with me. 

Anyway. A couple weeks ago I did something I've been mulling over for a few years now: I started a half marathon training plan. Legit started. It's a challenge, especially because I have exercise-induced asthma. But I love challenges. Nothing feels better to me than pushing myself to to something I previously thought impossible. The training is going well. I had been running only sporadically when I first started, but now I'm doing 3 miles in a cool 30 minutes. 

Or at least I was until today. My run was awful today. Purely awful. The training called for 30 minutes "easy" today, aka running at a pace where you're able to easily hold a conversation the whole time. Mile one was fine, but the other 1.66 miles (I didn't even make it to 3) were PAINFUL. And the thing was, I was being awful to myself. Why is this hard for you? This shouldn't be hard for you. What happened? I glared at my phone and made faces that I'm sure were infinitely amusing to people driving by. 

Then I stopped. Just be nice to yourself. I said that out loud. And then I felt a little better. So what if not every run is great? So what if not every run is progress? Sometimes you gotta go backward to go forward, right? I had a horrible night's sleep last night. It threw me off this morning. I did my training anyway, so that's accomplishment enough! I have a rest day tomorrow. But Friday I'll lace up, hit the road, and I'll kick its butt - without trash talking myself to death. End of story! 

An unrelated anecdote from walking the dog this morning:

Neighbor: "That is the cutest dog!"
Me: "Thanks. He's friendly...just hyper sometimes."
Neighbor: "I understand. My grandson is like that."

All smiles,
b

No comments:

Post a Comment